Updated 3/23/20 with training videos, class modifications, additional cleaning details, and temporary closure.
Stuck at home and eager to continue your training? We have just the thing! All current students may access their rank-specific training videos at any time. Contact us for access (share student name and rank).
Note: An executive order signed by Florida Governor DeSantis forces all non-residential fitness centers with a capacity of more than 10 people to close. See our schedule for updates.
The following is an evolved version of our original statement so you know what we’ve been doing to keep you safe and informed.
We understand you are concerned. About a lot. COVID-19/Coronavirus raises a lot of fears and questions. Your safety while training in the martial arts doesn’t need to be one of them.
First, visit the CDC for updates. And check with your local authorities about closures and other important announcements.
Here’s What We Have Always Done
The University Karate Center believes a safe training environment extends beyond controlled techniques. Germs are a worthy adversary as well. And we won’t tolerate them.
- All commonly-touched surfaces are disinfected regularly.
- We encourage anyone with respiratory symptoms to stay at home. Train when you’re well.
- Pads used during kickboxing classes are cleaned after use.
Here’s What We’re Doing Now
While we can no longer remain open, we will be back as soon as able. We will post updates here and on our schedule. A healthy mind is important as we go through this stressful time. Regular training can help alleviate fears and empower reasoned thought.
Here’s what we transitioned to so we can reduce interactions and maintain a clean environment:
- All surfaces which regularly experience contact are disinfected every morning and throughout the day
- Floors are washed daily
- Classes will be “no-contact”, with no-touch pairs, additional space between students, and avoiding “high-fives” or similar
- All pads used during class will be separated and sanitized after each session
- All Sparring, Kickboxing, and Tai Chi classes are cancelled until further notice
- Focus will be on forms (kata), mirror-based pairs, and basics to avoid contact
As always, we’ll do our best to keep the dojo clean. You focus on getting even better!
We thank you for your support and as the situation evolves, we’ll continue to update you here, share updates on our Facebook page, and send out e-mails.
Stay healthy. Stay safe.